Releasing music as an independent musician on Spotify and Apple Music can be done through the use of digital distribution platforms. These platforms allow independent artists to upload their music to various streaming services, including Spotify and Apple Music, as well as to purchase their own ISRC and UPC codes. Here are the steps an independent musician can take to release their music on Spotify and Apple Music:
- Choose a digital distribution platform: There are a variety of platforms available such as DistroKid TuneCore, and CD Baby. Each platform has its own set of features and fees, so it’s important to research and compare the options before making a decision.
- Create an account: Once a platform has been chosen, the next step is to create an account. This typically involves providing basic personal information and setting up payment methods.
- Upload your music: Once the account is set up, the independent musician can begin uploading their music. This typically involves submitting the audio files, along with metadata such as song titles, artist name, and release date. Some platforms also allow for the upload of cover art and lyrics.
- Purchase ISRC and UPC codes: ISRC codes are unique identifiers assigned to each recorded track, while UPC codes are unique identifiers assigned to each release. These codes are required by Spotify and Apple Music in order for the music to be distributed on their platforms.
- Submit for review: Once the music is uploaded and the ISRC and UPC codes have been purchased, the next step is to submit the music for review. This process typically takes a few days, and the platform will notify the independent musician once the music has been approved.
- Wait for the music to go live: After the music has been approved, it will be added to Spotify’s and Apple Music’s catalogs, where it will be available for listeners to stream and purchase. It may take a few days or a week for the music to go live on the platforms.
- Promote your music: Once your music is live on Spotify and Apple Music, it is important to promote it in order to reach a wider audience. This can be done through social media, email marketing, and orher forms of online promotion.
- Monitor your performance: Many digital distribution platforms offer tracking and analytics tools that allow independent musicians to monitor the performance of their music on Spotify and Apple Music. This information can be used to inform future promotional efforts and to make strategic decisions about future releases.
Releasing music as an independent musician on Spotify and Apple Music can be a great way to reach a wider audience and build a fanbase. By utilizing digital distribution platforms, independent musicians can easily upload their music to the platforms, purchase ISRC and UPC codes, and promote their music to a global audience. However, the process can take a bit of time and effort, so it’s important to be prepared and to have a clear plan in place for promoting the music once it’s live on the platforms.